Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Harris Beach

Lately I've only been working 40 hour weeks four days per week and 10 hours per day. Not a bad deal but the paychecks are a bit skimpy. Sari and I decided that it would be a good idea to do some hikes or day trips while I have an extra day on the weekend. This also makes it possible to take a slightly longer than usual vacation, meaning since I have Mondays off I don't have to be back until the 26th. Yes I am gloating just a bit. Anyway for our first trip we went to Harris beach just north of Brookings.

Here is the boy chasing down seagulls

Baby girl enjoying the sun

Momma and Mathias playing in the surf, the water was actually pretty warm! Of course that is only on the first few feet.

Dad's turn, we had fun getting in the surf and getting wet.

Little man is ready to go and pulling on his bear.

I took a short hike with Annie to find some worthwhile subject and discovered this odd looking rock outcropping. Looks like a very large green robin to me

Since we were already in the area we took the kids on a very short hike on a very unkempt trail in the redwood forest. This was mostly "new" growth but still impressive.

I still had to look straight up just to take in the amazing height of these trees, maybe not so grand as their elders but still grand.

Over all it was a good trip and it tired out the kids wonderfully, poor Annie however had to deal with the setting sun in her face on the way home, so I laid a blanket over her car seat and tucked the other end around the mirror fastened to the back seat. That created a small tent which shaded the poor girl. As with any trip, short or long, there is no substitute for home.


4 comments:

fiona said...

That rock totally looks like a robin, how cool! What a fun outing! I would love to go see the redwoods, even the "new growth," they're so tall, still...I'm glad y'all are taking advantage of your extra day off and doing this sorta stuff. Keep the pics of our cute nephew and niece coming!!

zachariah said...

That rock totally looks like a bird, I thought it was at first glance until I read the description.

Justica said...

Geez it really does look like a robin! That would be so cool in black and white. Thats a totally cool rock though! (:

Sutherlands said...

Great pictures/post! I hope you guys are having fun in WA.
-Robyn